About Bagotville Thinkstock Share: About Bagotville Welcome Located in the Saguenay region of Quebec, CFB Bagotville is one of the two CF-18 hunting grounds. Actively engaged in the heart of social and economic lives, CFB Bagotville is one of the major and essential foundations in the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean region. As a proud and dedicated staff, the 1,700 military and civilian members of the Wing are an integral part of the community and provide major support to community activities. This commitment significantly contributes to building stronger ties between the regional community and the CFB Bagotville community. Located in the center of the province, less than 200 kilometers north of Quebec City, the vast and splendid territory of Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean contains sumptuous landscapes, winding rivers and vertiginous mountains. The beauty of its landscape is intrinsic to the fjord, dug in a glacial valley, and to the splendor of the Valin mountains. The fantastic Saguenay fjord, with its steep cliffs and sloping valleys, is dotted with celestial villages reminiscent of rural France. These natural beauties offer infinite possibilities to the outdoor enthusiast. An escape place par excellence, the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean region also benefits from an enviable industrial structure. Prosperous and on the lookout for new technologies, its industries attract a skilled workforce; Guarantor of a dynamic industrial environment. HISTORY OF CANADIEN FORCES BASE BAGOTVILLE 1942 No1. Operational Training Unit was established in the summer of 1942 at what was then called RCAF Station Bagotville, in order to meet the growing training needs of the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) during World War II. In addition to pilot training, the station had another mission: to protect Alcan's aluminium production facilities and the hydroelectric plants in the region. It was then the station Bagotville adopted its motto, < Défendez le Saguenay>. 1951 RCAF Station Bagotville was closed at the end of the war, then reopened in 1 july 1951 as a base for training squadrons to be part of the Canadian Division in Europe. 413 Squadrons and 414 Squadrons left for Europe on 7 march 1953. After that, the facilities at Station Bagotville were underused until 1954, when it became the permanent home base for the CF-100 type Canuck < All-Weather> fighters flown by 432 and 440 Squadrons. By then, Bagotville was already an important link in the Canada-U.S. defence system, which would become NORAD in 1958. 1957 In 1957, 440 Squadrons was transferred to Grostenquin, France, and replaced by 413 Squadrons, which in turn was moved to Europe with ist CF 100 fighters. In 1961, the two squadrons based at Bagotville at the time were dusbanded and the base was returned to its original mission of operational training. in addition to its defence support role, with the creation of No.3 All-Weather (Fighter)Operational Training Unit. 1961-62 The early 1960s ushered in a new era for CFB Bagotville with the arrival of 416 Sqadron on 31 December 1961 and it new CF-101 Voodoo fighters, 416 Squadron was moved to Chatham in 1962 and replaced by 425 (Alouette) Squadron, wich also flew the Voodoo. 1969 In 1969, 433 (porcupine) Squadron was stood up at Bagotville with its CF 5 Freedom Fighter, a Canadian-manufactured aircraft. NO.3 Operational Training Unit had become 410 Squadron, which kept its training mission at Bagotville until 1982, when it moved to Cold Lake and switched to the new Canadian fighter jet, the CF 18 Hornet. 1982 In june 1982, 434 Tactical Helicopter Squadron moved from Cold Lake to Bagotville with its CF 5's. Where it remainded until 1988, when it moved to Chatham. 1985 The arrival of the CF 18's at 425 Squadron in March 1985 marked the end of the Voodoo era. On 15 January 1988, 433 Squadron also converted ti the new plane. 1991 In the spring of 1991, following the closure of the Mont Apica radar station, 12 Radar Squadron established itself at Bagotville to support CF 18 training with tactical control services. 1993 In 1993, the squadrons at CFB Bagotville were grouped together under the name of 3 wing Bagotville, and 439 Combat Support (Tiger) Squadron was re-formed there with CT133 Sylver Stars and Iroquois helicopters (replaced by Griffon in 1996). 2005 In the summer of 2005, 425 and 433 Squadrons were merged to better meet the objectives of the new Defence policy, which were to make 3 wing an expeditionary force. The merged unit retained the name of 425 Squadron. The colours of 433 Squadron were retired on 15 july 2005 in an official ceremony. 2007 In July 2007, the Minister of National Defence announced the formation of 2 Air Expeditionary Wing (2 AEW) at Bagotville. The new unit's mission was agile and rapidly deployable to increase support to the Air Force's deployed operations. 2009 On 20 January 2009, 3 wing grew again, with the addition of 414 Electronic Warfare Support Squadron, whose mission was to provide electronic support for Canadian Armed Forces combat training. The squadron is bases in Ottawa but reports to the Commander of 3 Wing. 2012 In the summer of 2012, 2 wing, which had previously reported to the commander of 3 Wing. Welcomed its first Commander. 2015 In june 2015, 433 Squadron was reformed, and 3 Wing once again had two fighter squadrons. With more than 1,700 military and civilian employees, CFB Bagotville is one of the biggest employers in the region, making it an important player in the social and economic life of Saguenay-Lac-St-Jean.