It is important to know where you can turn if you or someone you know is experiencing family violence during the COVID-19 pandemic. Help is available to Albertans dealing with family violence, partner abuse, sexual violence, child abuse, elder abuse, pet abuse, or financial abuse.
In case of emergency, call 911. Police and emergency responders will continue to respond throughout the pandemic, even to those in quarantine.
Being connected with friends and family helps people be more resilient. Consider different ways to stay with important people in your network. Remember to support people in your community who are caring for others.
- REAL Talk: If you are interested in learning how to recognize, understand and respond to doemstic violence - especially if you are worried about someone you love - Sagesse is running webinars to teach people how to have tough conversations and offer support.
- Stand By support: If you are supporting someone who is experiencing or using abuse, there is an online peer support group that meets every Wednesday night.
- CONNECT Family and Sexual Abuse Network: Calgary's CONNECT line is available 24 hours a day for support and questions about sexual abuse and sexual assault. Please call 403.237.5888 or 1.877.237.5888 Toll Free in Alberta.
- Family Violence Info Line. Available toll-free to all Albertans. They can connect you with resources available near you and help you make a safety plan. Call 310-1818 to get help 24/7 in over 170 languages. An anonymous web chat is also available daily from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. at alberta.ca/SafetyChat.
- Family violence during COVID-19 info sheet (Alberta Government)
Sexual assault services
- Alberta’s One Line for Sexual Violence at 1-866-403-8000: One Line is available for text or talk seven days a week from 9:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m., with translation services in over 200 languages. Chat is also available through AASAS and all member agency websites.
If you suspect someone is experiencing family violence or abuse:
- Alberta provincial abuse helpline: 1-855-4HELPAB (1-855-443-5722) for assistance in more than 100 languages from 7:30 am to 8 pm, Monday to Friday
- Child Abuse Hotline: 1-800-387-KIDS (5437) for help 24/7
- Protection for Persons in Care Reporting Line: 1-888-357-9339 to report the abuse of an adult receiving care or support services from public funded service providers such as hospitals, seniors’ lodges, nursing homes, mental health facilities, shelters, group homes, addictions treatment centres, and other supportive living settings