Lockheed Martin Canada Supports Military Family Mental Health
In recognition of Mental Health Week, led by the Canadian Mental Health Association, Lockheed Martin Canada is proud to support a variety of initiatives that celebrate, protect and promote mental health.
Single Largest Philanthropic Donation
The past year was especially challenging for Canadian military families coping with the impacts of the COVID-19 global pandemic. In response, Lockheed Martin Canada’s single largest philanthropic contribution to date, $300,000, was donated to programs supporting the mental health of over 500 youth (and counting) from military families across Canada.
Lockheed partnered with Canadian Forces Morale and Welfare Services, and local Military Family Resource Centres (MFRCs) in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, Quebec and Nova Scotia, to support important initiatives providing military families with tangible relief during a very challenging period.
“We are grateful to Lockheed Martin Canada for their unwavering support of military families in Canada. These new programs and services go a long way in providing vital support for children and youth helping to ensure their resiliency.” commented Commodore Sean N. Cantelon (Ret’d), CEO, Canadian Forces Moral and Welfare Services.
Supporting the military community with non-profit partners is a large part of what Lockheed Martin does, both as a company and as an employer. The past year has underlined the importance of access to local mental health programs and resources for families who may concurrently face relocation, operational separations, and the risk of the profession of arms in addition to COVID related stressors.
“We know the impact COVID-19 has had on everyone’s wellbeing, and I am incredibly proud of this partnership with Canadian Forces Morale and Welfare Services that is providing more access to tailored and timely mental health resources for children and youth of military families through their local centres,” added Lorraine Ben, Chief Executive, Lockheed Martin Canada.
Over 500 Military Children and Youth Impacted So Far
For additional information, visit our website: www.lockheedmartin.ca
- National CAF Kids Crisis Text Line, delivery extended by 4-5 years, dedicated to ensuring children, youth and young adults from military families have free access to mental health and wellbeing support in both English and French. Powered by Kids Help Phone, kids text the keyword CAFKIDS to 686868 for mental health support.
- Tranquility Online, program partnered with the Halifax MFRC to teach life-long skills to military family members, helping parents and youth manage mental health during stressful or difficult situations.
- Peer Support Network for Adolescent Girls, delivered fully online by Region of Montreal MFRC. The interactive information sessions and discussion groups cover a wide variety of topics like children’s mental health in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Imagination Library delivered by the Esquimalt MFRC is a monthly book sharing program, providing children ages 0-5 with a different book each month, in collaboration with Dolly Parton's Imagination Library - an international non-for-profit working to support enhanced education outcomes for children.
- Imagination Library delivered by the Calgary MFRC provides a book sharing program as well as counselling services for children and youth struggling with complex mental health challenges and tutoring for those with academic difficulties.
About Lockheed Martin Canada
Headquartered in Ottawa, Lockheed Martin Canada is the Canadian unit of Lockheed Martin Corporation, a global security and aerospace company that employs some 110 000 people worldwide. Lockheed Martin Canada has been Canada’s trusted defence partner for over 80 years, specializing in the development, integration, and sustainment of advanced technology systems, products, and services. The company has over 1000 employees at major facilities in Ottawa, Montreal, Halifax, Calgary, and Victoria, working on a wide range of major programs spanning the aerospace, defence, and commercial sectors.
Please follow @LMCanadaNews on Twitter for the latest announcements and news across Lockheed Martin Canada