The Health Promotion Department offers briefings, presentations and workshops to Squadrons/Units/Sections upon request. We have put together some examples of topics we provide below; however, we can tailor the topic based on the request.
Briefings and Presentations
Request a Briefing
Addictions Awareness and Prevention
- Introduction to Health Promotion: Learn what Health Promotion at 4 Wing can offer to your Unit to enable your members to make healthy lifestyle choices.
Injury Prevention and Active Living
- Cannabis and Health: Learn about what cannabis is, how it is used, and its health effects.
- Introduction to Gambling: Get a better understanding of gambling and its impact on the workplace.
- Introduction to Substance Use: Covers the basics surrounding substance use and related policies
- Keeping Your Parties Safe: Learn how to be a responsible host.
- Other Drug Use: The basics of other drugs (i.e. not alcohol or cannabis) will be covered, including signs of potential use.
- Staying Within the Guidelines: Covers responsible drinking including Canada's Low Risk Drinking Guidelines and the options available.
- Talking About Problematic Use: Learn how to talk to others who you suspect may have a problem with substances, gambling or gaming.
- Video and Internet Gaming: Learn the basics of internet and video gaming, how they can become problematic behaviours and impact the workplace.
- Move More with Active Transportation: Learn what active transportation is and how to build it safely and effectively into your life.
- Summer Safety: Stay safe in the summer with these great tips for sun safety, heat stress and healthy hydration.
- The Thigh Bone's Connected to the Knee Bone: Focusing on the impact of exercise on the human body.
- Canada's New Food Guide: Canada's Food Guide was changed in January 2019. Learna bout what these changes are, what they mean to you, and how to implement them.
- Combat Rations for Top Performance: Delves into what combat rations are, what they provide for your brain and body, and what the nutrition requirements are for different climates and performance needs.
- Choices, Choices! Learn how to make healthy choices when eating out at restaurants.
- Dietary Supplement Dilemma: Explains what dietary and sport supplements are, and the associated benefits and risks with using them.
- Emotional Eating: Learn about what emotional eating is, why we do it, and what we can do to regain a healthy relationship with food.
- Fad Diets: Diets come and go. We focus on the current trendy diets and the pros and cons of each to allow members to make informed decisions.
- Healthy Eating on the Go: Offers tips on how to make healthy food choices when life is hectic and fast-paced.
- What's in a Label? Learn how to properly read food labels and understand nutrition claims to make healthier choices.
- Better Sleep for Better Health: Sleep is important for all aspects of your health. Learn about how much sleep you should be getting and tips to ensure you're getting both quality and quantity.
- Just Breathe...into Relaxation: Stress-management techniques such as breathing exercises, grounding exercises and mindfulness/situational awareness will be discussed and practiced.
- Managing Stress for Success: A brief orientation to understanding stress to increase awareness of personal stressors, discuss warning signs and increase the use of healthy stress management strategies for optimal performance.
- Mental Fitness & Suicide Awareness: Content from the MFSA course is available in a 30 minute briefing, 1 hour presentation or 3 hour workshop. Certificates are not provided.
- Positive Thinking: Learn about the difference between optimism and pessimism and what self-talk is all about.
- Reducing the Stigma: Discusses what stigma is, how it's manifested and how to reduce it in the workplace.
- Self-Care: Taking Care of You! Learn about the importance of self-care and some great tips and strategies to make sure you're taking care of yourself in times of distress.