Mental Fitness and Suicide Awareness
Mental Fitness and Suicide Awareness (MFSA)
This course is designed to prepare personnel in leadership positions to promote mental fitness and to mitigate the incidence of mental health injuries including deliberate self-harm and suicide within the military community.
Participants will learn how to take concrete steps to maintain and maximize their own mental health, while also watching over that of others by fostering a culture of understanding and support.
- To learn about mental fitness in a military community;
- To practice exercises that will strengthen mental fitness;
- To learn about how mental fitness fits into leadership responsibility; and
- To learn about suicide and suicide prevention and intervention.
MITE code is provided upon course completion.
The target audience for this course are CAF members who are in supervisory positions and at a rank level of MCpl/MS and above, or Officers. Where space is available, civilian employees of the Defence Team who are in a supervisory position can register.
This course is designed to promote awareness and skill-building, to maximize mental fitness both individually and in the workplace, and to lessen the incidence of mental health injuries including deliberate self-harm and suicide.
Individual benefits include:
- Mental health injuries and mental fitness;
- Stigma surrounding mental health injuries;
- Mental Health Continuum Model;
- How to maintain and improve mental fitness and resiliency;
- How to recognize the signs of a person in distress; and
- How to help someone having thoughts of suicide get the help they need through ACE (Ask, Care, Escort) Model.
Community benefits include:
- Being able to take concrete steps toward maintain your own mental fitness, while also watching over that of others; and
- Knowing how to recognize the signs of a person at risk for suicide.
HRMS code is provided upon course completion.
- Fostering a culture of understanding, support and safety; and
- Being there for your peers.
This course is open to the 4 Wing Community (military members, civilian employees, veterans and family members 18+)