If you are a military family member posted where the community’s primary language is unfamiliar to you, Second Language Training (SLT) services are designed to help you integrate into your new surroundings.
Second Language Training
(Rosetta Stone online training follows below)
By enrolling in an SLT program you’ll have the opportunity to enhance your life skills and improve your resume while increasing your language proficiency in your second language. MFRCs offer Second Language Training as part of their mandate to deliver the Military Family Services Program. Our approach is to design a program that is standardized across all points of access so that families can have the same experience, irrespective of where they are posted.
Study options may include working independently online, or attending an SLT classroom program facilitated by your closest Military Family Resource Centre. The Second Language Training Program is comprised of, but not limited to, the following program components:
- Class-led Instruction – traditional classroom setting with a national curriculum and teacher held at local MFRCs
- Online Language Training - Family members can obtain a license from their local MFRC to access the self-directed online Rosetta Stone program.
- Tutoring – available for one-on-one language instruction on a case-by-case basis
- Other learning opportunities developed by local MFRCs such as conversation circles and French/English Conversation Clubs and a Second Language Training Resource Library
- 2018 Second language pilot program - Pour l’amour du français (French training program) and For the love of English (English training program) Both programs are delivered in a traditional classroom setting with an online curriculum with 16 separate modules, which are mapped into the Government of Canada (A, B and C) linguistic levels. You don't have to worry about missing a class because of your loved one’s deployment, your HHT or a hectic family schedule.
Instructor Lead Second Language Training
Classroom-based English and French courses are offered during the year when there is sufficient enrolment to meet the minimum number of registrants per course.
Courses may be available at multiple levels: beginner, intermediate and advanced, again based upon enrolment numbers. If necessary, a proficency assessement will be conducted prior to placement into a particular level at the beginning of each session.
Registration is available to the following, ordered according to priority:
- Military spouses/partners/dependants 14+ yrs
- CAF Regular & Reserve Force personnel
- DND civilian, NPF and MFRC personnel
$50 - Military spouses/partners/dependants 14+ yrs
$80 - Canadian Armed Forces personnel (Regular & Reserve); DND civilian, NPF and MFRC personnel (non-reimbursable)
$150 - Civilians (non-reimbursable)
$10 for one course manual and photocopies
Limited funding may be available to military families - please contact us for more information.
Classes will be offered with a minimum of 5 students for each level
Levels to be determined by the enrolment and proficiency levels of students
Interested in Second Language Training? Fill out the form below and our Second Language Training Coordinator will be in touch with you.
For more information about Second Language Training classes, please call 250-339-8290 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Rosetta Stone - Online Second Language Training (military family members only)
We are pleased to have a number of Rosetta Stone licenses available to immediate military family members. Rosetta Stone online training allows users to learn at their own pace from the comfort of their own home. Don’t worry about missing classes because of illness, vacations, or a hectic family schedule. No one gets left behind and users can surge ahead as quickly as they like.
To inquire into Rosetta Stone access, please call 250-339-8290 or email email@example.com