Message from the Base Commander:
Base Commander Message: Mandatory Masking
On August 20, 2020, Sturgeon County approved the Temporary Mandatory Face Coverings Bylaw 1513/20, which comes into effect immediately and applies to all indoor or substantially enclosed indoor spaces that are available to the public, whether owned privately (e.g. gas station) or by Sturgeon County (e.g. a community hall, Sturgeon Centre) as well as public vehicles (e.g. taxis, shuttles). More information on this bylaw is available at the following link (Sturgeon County COVID-19 Mask By-Law) and summarized below, including its application to indoor spaces within Base Edmonton’s “admin area” outside of the base perimeter (i.e. CANEX, Tim Hortons, etc). Public Health Measure postures within Base Edmonton will remain the same as they are now, enforced by DND/CAF leadership.
Everyone in the Defence Community (military, civilian, and families) are expected to respect Sturgeon County’s bylaw and adhere to mask covering requirements while conducting business at designated public areas. Appropriate face-covering signage will be posted in applicable establishments.
The bylaw requires individuals in the municipal boundaries of Sturgeon County and/or in Sturgeon County-owned facilities to wear a face covering at all times while in an indoor, enclosed, or substantially enclosed public place or in a public vehicle.
Temporary Mandatory Face Coverings Bylaw 1513/20 is exempt for:
- Children under the age of 10
- People who are unable to place, use, or remove a face covering without assistance
- People unable to wear a face covering due to a mental or physical concern or limitation, or protected ground under the Alberta Human Rights Act
- People consuming food or drink in designated seating areas or as part of a religious or spiritual ceremony
- People engaged in physical activities, water activities, or the paid supervision of water activities, or attending within a sauna or steam room
- Caregivers or those assisting a person with a disability where a Face Covering would hinder that caregiving or assistance
- People engaging in services that require the temporary removal of a Face Covering
- Performers who are participating in a theatrical dance or theatrical or musical public performance (if all participants in the performance are able to maintain at least two metres of physical distance from each other and do not enter the areas where the public is viewing the performance
- People providing or receiving a service that requires personal consultation if that activity occurs in a closed office or meeting room and all participants in the personal consultation are able to maintain physical separation of at least two metres from each other
- People separated from others by physical barriers or shields such as plexiglass.
This municipal bylaw does not apply to the following places:
- Schools and other educational facilities
- Child-care facilities
- Areas not accessed by the public
- Platforms or stage areas in places of worship during worship services
Bylaw Application to Base Edmonton “Admin Area” Facilities
||Alberta Health Services Measures
Currently in Effect
||Impact of Sturgeon County Mandatory Masking By-Law
||Stage 2+, cleaning services shared with Sturgeon School Board (compliant with CAF reqrs)
+ PS OLC Work-From-Home Guidance
Incl enhanced spacing for Cardio areas and limited capacity (9) for Pool
+ PSP Staff Masking Directive for Public Spaces
|Masking in hallways, washrooms, and weight room* for patrons. *Specific exemptions exist for fitness facilities/activities under County By-Law however 2m distancing cannot always be maintained in the weight room so a mask is required.
Bunker Stage 2+ (for Licensed establishments, to include Enforced Spacing – 6/table, 2m spacing between tables = effective capacity 72/150)
|+ PSP Staff Masking Directive for Public Spaces
||Patron masking in Pro-Shop
Mandatory masking for all occupants (already in effect)
||Mandatory masking for all occupants (already in effect)
Cohorts for Care and Recreational programs
|Mandatory masking policy already in effect due to confined office spaces and cohort transition zones
Inquiries regarding this message can be sent to:
Public Affairs Office by email: EdmCFBASUPaffoCFBASU@forces.gc.ca