Mental Health

Vancouver Island Crisis and Information Line

Phone:  1-888-494-3888

The Vancouver Island Crisis and Information Line provide 24/7/365 days/week support and resources for Vancouver Island and BC.  Access to the specialized emergency mental health response team is available through this number based on assessment.

Vancouver Island Health Authority - Mental Health and Addiction Services

Phone: 250-370-8175-Primary Service Provider

VIHA’s Adult Mental Health and Addiction Services offers a range of services from short-term crisis intervention to rehabilitation and housing and many options in between.

BC Mental Health & Addiction Services

Phone: 604 524-7700

BC Mental Health & Addiction Services is an agency of the Provincial Health Services Authority. It provides a diverse range of mental health services to people across BC, including:
  • Specialized tertiary mental health treatment services for adults and children
  • Forensic psychiatric services
  • Research & knowledge exchange
  • Mental health promotion

Here to Help

Phone: 1-800-661-2121      310-6789

Here to Help has been developed by the BC Partners for Mental Health and Addictions Information. This website offers a variety of information, fact sheets and shared stories about mental illness. This website has resources available in several languages.

Anxiety BC

Phone: 604-681-3400    310-6789

This non-profit organization works to increase awareness about anxiety disorders; promote education of the general public, affected persons, and health care providers; and increase access to evidence-based resources and treatments. 

British Columbia Psychological Association

(Please note that most CAF members and their families may be covered for some compensation for psychological services through the Public Service Health Care Plan with a referral from a physician.  Please check with your extended health care plan for more information.)

BCPA provides a list of practicing psychologist in British Columbia.  CAF Families who have the PSHCP have access to extended benefits to cover psychologist’s services.  A Psychologist can often be a good option while waiting for public mental health services.  Go to the website above to find a psychologist in your area.  Please note that you will need a doctor's referral to have the cost of a psychologist cover by your extended health care.

CAF Member Assistance Program
Toll Free: 1-800-268-7708

The Member Assistance Program (MAP) is a free voluntary and confidential service for Canadian Forces (CF) to help members (Regular Force, all Reserve Class Members, Cadets) and family members.  MAP provides a short-term problem solving service for persons who have parenting or family concerns, interpersonal relations, personal and emotional, stress, anxiety, sexual assault and addiction concerns.