What is Mental Health First Aid for the Veteran Community?
Mental Health First Aid for the Veteran Community
The NEW VIRTUAL Mental Health First Aid-Veteran Community course is an interactive group workshop tailored to address the needs of Canadian Armed Forces Veterans and the people who care for and about them.
Created by the Mental Health Commission of Canada, this evidence-based course teaches participants to identify, understand, and respond to signs of mental illness and substance abuse disorders. Studies have also shown that this program helps to reduce the social stigma and distance created by the negative attitudes and perceptions of mental illness through education.
Facilitators of the course are trained through the Mental Health Commission of Canada and are familiar with the Canadian Armed Forces Community or are Veterans themselves.
Why should I participate?
In addition to receiving a certificate of completion, you will learn:
Who is this course for?
- Develop a thorough understanding of the five basic actions of the ALGEE Model;
- ALGEE is the framework used to facilitate a confident conversation about mental health with family, friends, colleagues, and strangers.
- Be introduced to signs, symptoms and risk factors of mental health problems;
- Learn to decrease the social distance between themselves and someone with a mental health problem;
- Increase their confidence to help someone undergoing a mental health crisis;
- Be able to identify professional and self-help resources; and Improve mental health wellness
This course is opened to the entire CAF community with priority given to medically releasing CAF members, medical released Veterans, and their families.
How much is this course?
This course is available to the entire CAF community free of charge.
How is this virtual course delivered?
This program will be delivered in three parts, one self-guided module and two interactive workshop portions hosted through Zoom. More information about the delivery of the program will be available closer to the date.
If there are any questions or concerns about the program, Veteran resources, or Penelope, the KMFRC’s secure client management database, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
To learn more about the Mental Health Commission of Canada, click here
To learn more about the Mental Health First Aid Course, click here (please note, these courses are NOT covered through the Veteran Family Program)
To learn more about the Veteran Family Program, click here
Penelope Privacy Notice and Consent Statement