Date: July 13 & 15
Mental Health First Aid for the Veteran Community
Time: 1:00pm - 5:00pm
Registration Deadline: June 28, 2021
What is Mental Health First Aid for the Veteran Community?
The NEW VIRTUAL Mental Health First Aid-Veteran Community course is an interactive group workshop tailored to address the needs of Canadian Armed Forces Veterans and the people who care for and about them.
Created by the Mental Health Commission of Canada, this evidence-based course teaches participants to identify, understand, and respond to signs of mental illness and substance abuse disorders. Studies have also shown that this program helps to reduce the social stigma and distance created by the negative attitudes and perceptions of mental illness through education.
Facilitators of the course are trained through the Mental Health Commission of Canada and are familiar with the Canadian Armed Forces Community or are Veterans themselves.
Why should I participate?
In addition to receiving a certificate of completion, you will:
- Develop a thorough understanding of the five basic actions of the ALGEE Model;
- ALGEE is the framework used to facilitate a confident conversation about mental health with family, friends, colleagues, and strangers.
- Be introduced to signs, symptoms and risk factors of mental health problems;
- Learn to decrease the social distance between themselves and someone with a mental health problem;
- Increase their confidence to help someone undergoing a mental health crisis;
- Be able to identify professional and self-help resources; and
- Improve mental health wellness
Who is this course for?
This course is opened to the entire CAF community with priority given to medically releasing CAF members, medical released Veterans, and their families.
How much is this course?
This course is available to the entire CAF community free of charge.
How is this virtual course delivered?
This program will be delivered in three parts, one self-guided module and two interactive workshop portions hosted through Zoom.
Penelope Privacy Notice and Consent Statement