The Canadian Forces Ottawa Fish and Game Club was first established in 1956 as the Airforce Headquarters Rod and Gun Club. The Club functions as a Non-Public Fund (NPF) organization under the Commandant CFSU (O), reporting through the PSP CFSU(O) Recreation Office. It provides affordable activities to enhance the physical and mental well-being of active and retired CAF members and their family.
The Club is dedicated to the promotion of fishing, hunting, conservation and associated activities as a means of improving the general fitness and well being of all its members. It provides newcomers to the National Capital Region with the opportunity to meet fellow fishermen and hunters to familiarize themselves with the local fishing, hunting and shooting opportunities and to obtain information pertaining to licensing and permit requirements.
The Club is further dedicated to observe and practice sound conservation of all wildlife and its habitat; to respect the property rights of others; to assist the authorities with implementing conservation measures for the benefit of the community; and to oppose activities such as poaching or pollution that are prejudicial to sound conservation of wildlife and its natural habitat, so as to provide a continuing source of enjoyment for all its present and future members.
Meetings are generally held the first Monday from September to June and serve as informal gatherings with guest speakers social events, or presentations by the members. The December and June meetings serve as formal General meetings. Meetings are sometimes adjusted to cater to hunting/fishing season activities.
Club activities include entertainment events such as Turkey dart shoots, Potluck Wild Game dinners, Wine & Cheese Bingos, and an Annual Awards Banquet. Outdoor activities include Spring and Fall Fishing Derbies, a Fall Pheasant hunt, Ice Fishing (conditions permitting) and a Kids Fishing Day for children of CAF members.
Example Calendar of Events
- September, 2nd Monday – Monthly Mtg. w/Guest Speaker
- September 2nd or 3rd Weekend – Fall Fishing Derby
- September 3rd or 4th Weekend -Wild Game Potluck Supper – Meet and Greet
- October, 1st Monday – General Mtg. w/Turkey Dart Shoot
- October, 2nd or 3rd Weekend – Fall Pheasant Hunt
- October, Last Monday – Pre-Emptive November Monthly Mtg. w/Guest Speaker
- November, Last Friday – Wine & Cheese Bingo
- December, 1st Monday – General Mtg. w/Guest Speaker
- January, 1st or 2nd Monday – Monthly Mtg. w/Guest Speaker
- End January – Ice Fishing Derby (weather dependent)
- February, 1st Monday – Monthly Mtg. w/Guest Speaker
- March, 1st Monday – Monthly Mtg. w/Turkey Dart Shoot
- April, 1st Monday – Monthly Mtg. w/Guest Speaker
- April, 3rd Saturday – Annual Awards Banquet
- May, 1st Monday – Monthly Mtg. w/Guest Speaker
- End May / Early June – Spring Fishing Derby
- June, 1st Monday – General Mtg. w/Annual Election of Executives
- July & August – No Meetings or scheduled events.
The Club is an affiliated member club of the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
(OFAH), which is the premiere hunting, fishing and conservation voice in Ontario, with approximately 80,000 members across the province. OFAH membership is included in the annual club membership.
As an OFAH Member, you receive a subscription to the Ontario OUT OF DOORS Magazine, a $5,000,000 Public Liability Insurance coverage (free), discounts on OFAH merchandise, and discounts at a number of retail outlets in Ontario.