Dates and Location
When and where is the event?
The Defence Community Family Appreciation Days will take place Friday 1 June from 1500 to 2300 hrs and Saturday 2 June from 1000 to 2300 hrs. The event is located at former Canadian Forces Base Uplands near the Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport.
Who Can Attend
Is this event open to everyone?
No. The main focus of the event is to recognize and thank members of the Defence Community and their family. They are:
- Current and former members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF);
- Current and former civilian employees of the Department of National Defence (DND);
- Staff of the Non Public Funds, Canadian Forces
- Staff and Board Members of the MFRC-NCR;
- Current and former members and employees of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP)
- Current Cadets;
- Current members of the Ottawa Athletics Club
- Current members of Hylands Golf Club; and
- Current Members of the following PSP Recreation Clubs:
- Canadian Forces Ottawa Fish and Game Club
- Forces Sub-Aqua Club
- National Capital Ski Club
- Uplands Aikido.
Do I need my Military / DND ID to enter the grounds?
Yes. To ensure a safe and secure event, all attendees are required to present a valid military / DND identification, or will be required to be accompanied by someone who has the proper ID in order to access the site. Acceptable ID includes, but is not limited to:
Sponsors, entertainers and representatives are required to provide identification.
- CAF identification card (NDI 10, 75);
- DND civilian identification card (NDI 21);
- Veterans /former member identification card (NDI 75 or CAF 75);
- The CFOne card, which is available to CAF members, civilian DND and NPF employees, and dependents with a government issued photo ID;
- DND building pass card with a government issued photo ID;
- Hylands Gold Club Membersghip card;
- Ottawa Athletic Club membership card; or
- RCMP identification card.
About the Event
Is there a cost to attend the Defence Community Family Appreciation Days?
There is no cost for admission to the event and you do not need to obtain tickets or register in advance for any of the activities.
Are the draw prize tickets free?
Yes. However you must be present during the draw to claim a prize once your number is called. If you are not present, the prize will be awarded to the second ticket holder called. See the schedule in your program for draw times.
Will there be food available? Can I bring my own?
Family Appreciation Days will have a food court with picnic tables featuring many local food vendors. Refreshments and food will be available for purchase onsite. You may also bring your own food to the event.
Will there be an ATM onsite?
Yes, in the Bank of Montreal trailer.
How do I get there? Is there free parking onsite?
OC Transpo bus # 147 loops through the Uplands site from Uplands Drive to Hunt Club Boulevard. Please visit OC Transpo’s website for more details.
Look for the Uplands Military Community Centre located at 330 Croil Private. There will be plenty of free parking on site.
You may take the Rideau Canal Eastern Pathway and Hunt Club Road to get to the site. There will be bike racks onsite.
Can I leave and come back?
Yes. Attendees are given event bracelets upon entering the site, which allows them to leave and reenter the site over the two-day event.
Are pets allowed?
For the safety and comfort of both attendees and exhibitors, pets are not allowed onsite, with the exception of service dogs (i.e. Seeing Eye dogs).
Will there be washrooms on site?
Yes, there will be portable washrooms on site.
Can I take pictures at the event?
Still photography using a camera is allowed, but for copyright reasons, video or audio recording devices are not permitted during the showing of the movie.
Is there a rain date for the day?
The event will go on, rain or shine and may only be cancelled in case of extreme weather. Certain rides and activities may need to close in case of rain as a safety precaution.