About the Short-Term Lodging Unit
The MFRC-NCR, PSP Recreation, PSP Military Housing and CFSU(O)’s Chaplain Services, under the auspices of the Commandant of CFSU(O), have partnered to provide the NCR with Short-Term Lodging Services. This program is designed to meet the temporary accommodation needs of military members and their families within the NCR.
Purpose of the Short-Term Lodging Unit
The purpose of short-term lodging services is to provide temporary support for housing military members and/or their families in crisis, those requiring accessible accommodations for local specialists/medical appointments, those with visitation rights or imposed restriction visitation, short-term housing for military members and their families unable to stay in their own homes due to flooding, fires, and/or extensive and unforeseen renovations.
Specifics about the program
The maximum stay, upon initial assessment and referral by the MFRC-NCR and/or CFSU(O) Chaplains is five nights. Should a longer stay be requested, the request will be made to the MFRC-NCR Prevention Support and Intervention Manager and/or the Senior CFSU(O) Chaplain who will make a recommendation to the Commandant CFSU(O) for his/her final decision. Decisions regarding longer stays will be made within 36 hours of a request. This program is offered as part of a collaborative partnership with PSP Ottawa and is a courtesy extended by the Commandant CFSU(O).
Occupancy of the Emergency Family Housing Unit is granted solely by approval from the MFRC-NCR Family Crisis Team or Chaplain Services and requires a $150 deposit. Occupancy is based on the following three priority levels;
- A sudden, unexpected, and catastrophic event involving residence of a member and his/her family who are posted and residing within the NCR. To include such circumstances as a fire, flood, or other “act of god” situation; and
- A medical emergency/situation involving a member or his/her dependants, posted and residing within the NCR, where immediate family members require short-term lodging in order to visit or provide care and support.
Costs related to Priority One situations will be $50.00/night plus applicable taxes. Requests for financial support may be made to the MFRC-NCR.
- Members and/or their families, who are posted and residing at Bases/Wings outside the NCR, who are receiving medical services within the NCR, and require accessible accommodation for the purpose of visiting and/or to provide care and and support.
Costs related to Priority One situations will be $50/night plus applicable taxes. Requests for financial support may be made to the MFRC-NCR.
- CAF families experiencing separation related to IR or custody arrangements where accessible accommodation within the NCR is required for the purpose of visitation.
Costs related to Priority One situations will be $50/night plus applicable taxes.
- Given availability and subject to bumping rights created by higher priority requests, CAF members and/or their families may request short-term lodging at a cost of $100/night plus applicable taxes.
NOTE:Short-term lodging is not designated for Protection Housing against domestic violence and will not be used for such situations given that the security and safety of clients cannot be guaranteed. All such requests will be referred to domestic violence shelters/services provided by suitable organizations within the NCR.
CAF families in need may be referred to MFRC-NCR Social Worker or CSFU(O) Chaplain Services by:
- Commandant CFSU(O), MFRC-NCR staff members, Chaplain Services, Base Medical personnel, Base Duty Officer, JPSU/IPSC, Military Police, or Base Administration Branch;
- Local Unit or Supervisor;
- CAF member or family member; and
- Community Agencies serving CAF members and their families.
Once a referral has been received, a member of the MFRC-NCR Family Crisis Team or the Chaplain Services, designated to determine the appropriateness of the referral, will conduct an evaluation of need and if approved, the length of stay required and appropriate priority level.
- Military Family Resource Centre- National Capital Region
Monday to Friday – 8:00 a.m. to 4:00p.m.
- Duty Chaplain
Monday to Friday – 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- After Hours, please call the Military Police line and ask to speak to the Duty Chaplain.