There are several programs and policies in place to help support you and your family in times of need by providing assistance in either accessing child care or covering some of the additional costs of unanticipated child care expense. Depending on your situation, you may qualify for any of the following:
- Military Family Service Program Emergency Child Care
If your family requires Emergency Child Care connect immediately with your local Military Family Resource Centre. Staff may support your family during a challenging situation by facilitating your access to supports and services (up to 96 hours per emergency) to help you address your short-term emergency child care needs. Depending on your specific situation and the available resources in your community, Military Family Resource Centres will assist you either by looking after your children for you, financial reimbursement, referrals or caregiver coordination. Each case is unique and will be assessed individually.
Canadian Armed Forces families will be supported by Emergency Child Care services under many unique circumstances including;
- When the Canadian Armed Forces member must report for duty on short notice, or is away on tasking and neither their primary or secondary caregiver identified on their Family Care Plan is available to care for their children.
- When your family requires emergency respite child care while the Canadian Armed Forces member is away, for essential health and well-being;
- When the Canadian Armed Forces member requires emergency short-term child care to secure essential necessities that have not already covered through IRP within three months after posting;
- When the Canadian Armed Forces member or any member of your family has been seriously ill or injured; or when a member of the family has died;
- Requests for Emergency Child Care are approved at the discretion of your local Military Family Resource Centre Executive Director.
To learn more about Emergency Child Care eligibility, funding, reference documents and options for your family call the Family Information Line at 1-800-866-4546 or contact your local Military Family Resource Centre.