(Provided by the Canadian Mental Health Association)
- Mental illness indirectly affects all Canadians at some time through a family member, friend or colleague.
- 20% of Canadians will personally experience a mental illness in their lifetime.
- 1 in 5 Canadians will experience a form of mental illness at some point in their life.
- Mood and anxiety disorders impact an estimated 22% of the Canadian population.
- Mental illness affects people of all ages, educational and income levels, and cultures.
- Almost one half (49%) of those who feel they have suffered from depression or anxiety have never gone to see a doctor about this problem.
- Mental illnesses can be treated effectively.
- It is estimated that 10-20% of Canadian youth are affected by a mental illness or disorder – the single most disabling group of disorders worldwide.
- Once depression is recognized, help can make a difference for 80% of people who are affected, allowing them to get back to their regular activities.