OP Family Readiness


OP Family Readiness

OP Family Readiness is a resource created by the PMFRC to help military families organize all of their important documents and vital information in one spot.
Deployment is defined as any time your soldier is away for an extended period of time. This includes courses, taskings, IR, field time, and overseas deployments. The PMFRC offers support to all family members of a deployed member, including girlfriend/boyfriend, aunt/uncle, parents, grandparents, spouse, and children. If your soldier is currently or soon-to-be deployed, take a look at this list of some things you should know.
For a comprehensive list, and more information about our OP Family Readiness Guide, contact our Deployment Services Coordinator by calling (613) 687-7587 ext. 3225 or by sending an email to

For CANSOFCOM families, please contact your CANSOFCOM Military Family Services team by telephone at 613-506-2781 or email at for additional information.

Life Insurance

Prior to a loved one contacting the insurance Company, they must have Power of Attorney and consent from the CF member to speak with them. A life insurance policy, and a last will and testament are two different things – changing one does not automatically change the other. If you or your spouse is updating information, make sure to check both. It is beneficial to ensure you verify all information on your life insurance policies prior to deployment.


It is essential that all family members have a current passport. For children to be permitted outside of the country with only one parent, they must have a signed out-of-country letter by both parents. It is also a good idea for extended family members to have a valid passport in the event of an emergency and if they need to go with you overseas. This will allow you to have someone there for you and your children during this time.

Power of Attorney

A power of attorney is a signed document that gives one person the authority to make decisions on behalf of the other. This document provides the security that you may need to make financial, medical, educational or legal decisions for your family. A power of attorney completed with the military will not cover all civilian matters, and vice versa. It is a good idea to ask questions, and apply for both.
There are three different types of power of attorney:
  1. Continuing power of attorney for property: gives someone else the legal authority to make decisions about your financial affairs and property, and allows that person to act on your behalf if you become mentally incapable.
  2. Non-continuing power of attorney for property: gives someone else the legal authority to make decisions about your financial affairs and property, in certain situations and for a specific period of time. It is automatically revoked if you become mentally incapable.
  3. Power of attorney for personal care: gives someone else the legal authority to make personal care decisions on your behalf if you become mentally incapable.
It is recommended that you contact your bank to discuss if they require a specific banking power of attorney that needs to be completed. Each bank has different policies.

Income Tax Information

Make sure that both of you are authorized to access and make tax payments on behalf of the deployed member. There are two ways to do this. You can set up an online account with the Canada Revenue Agency and fill out the required documentation, or you can fill our the T1013 Form ‘Authorizing or Cancelling a Representative.’ If you are filling out this form after the deployment has already begun, you can still complete this form with your legal representative signing in place of your deployed member.


It is important to make sure that both partners are listed as authorized users for your credit cards. If this is not changed, then the loved one at home may not be able to access the necessary funds or make necessary payments. Try to make these changes prior to departure, if possible, or talk to your partner about making these changes now.


If you are both away, your insurance provider may require you to have the house checked on a regular basis in order to have full coverage. Speak to your insurance provider to find out how often your home should be checked, and arrange to have a friend or neighbour drop by. You should also check and renew your home insurance policy to keep it up-to-date.
If you are living in a PMQ, consider having CFHA sign an authorization form allowing you to authorize work orders. This will allow you to submit a work order directly, rather than having to request it and wait for it to be approved. You should also make sure your smoke detectors are fully functional and replace the batteries at least once a year. 


Whether you are deployed for a short period of time, or deployed for several months, remember that your pet and your pet caregivers may need resources while you are away. If you are newer to the area, this may be even trickier. Situations to consider and prepare for include:

  1. You may always trim your cats nails, but while you are away your pet caregiver who is watching your cat is not comfortable trimming cats nails. Could a groomer come to her house to lessen the stress on the cat for regular nail trims?
  2. You walk your dog twice a day, but your pet caregiver works shift work and can't complete these walks. Will your pet act out because of the extra energy? Should you arrange a dog walker? 
  3. You have a very hairy dog that you groom, but your caregiver may not be comfortable grooming your dog. Should you make grooming appointments?
  4. Your cat is due for vaccines while you are away, but you are new to the area. Should you connect with a new vet? Should you make an appointment for your pet caregiver to attend?
Leaving your pet with someone can be stressful for you as an owner, as well as your pet. It's important to prepare for your absence by arranging the right care for your animal, and taking necessary steps so that you and your pet are comfortable with the decisions.