Mental Health First Aid (MHFA)
Mental Health First Aid for Veterans
Did you know that mental health problems will affect 1 in 5 Canadians this year? We should all have the confidence to provide effective first aid.
Mental Health First Aid is the help provided to a person developing a mental health problem or experiencing a mental health crisis. The first aid is given until appropriate professional treatment is received or until the crisis is resolved. The concept is based on the model of medical first aid.
The course covers the following topics:
• What is meant by mental health and mental illness/mental health problems
• Signs and symptoms of common mental health problems and crisis situations
• A basic model to provide mental health first aid
• Information about effective interventions and treatments
• How to access professional help
Mental health problems covered:
• Substance-related disorders
• Mood-related Disorders
• Anxiety-related disorders
• Trauma-related disorders
The course is facilitated by a MHCC facilitator, over 13 hours on two full days.
Please stay tuned for the next course!
More information on MHFA Veteran community can be found here or by contacting, the Veteran Family Program Coordinator at 204-765-3000 ext. 4557.