If you are a CAF military family member posted where the community’s primary language is unfamiliar to you, Second Language Training (SLT) services are designed to help you integrate into your new surroundings.
Second Language Training (SLT)
By enrolling in an SLT program you’ll have the opportunity to enhance your life skills and improve your resume while increasing your language proficiency in your second language. MFRCs offer SLT as part of their mandate to deliver the Military Family Services Program. Our approach is to design a program that is standardized across all points of access so that families can have the same experience, irrespective of where they are posted.
Study options may include working independently online, or at some of the larger Bases, attending an SLT classroom program facilitated by the MFRC. The Second Language Training Program is comprised of, but not limited to, the following program components:
The Suffield MFRC holds Rosetta Stone licenses (online training) for CAF family members to help with language barriers (English and French); the training is free of charge, with 6 month licenses available on a first come, first served basis. Learners have the opportunity to enhance life skills, improve employment opportunities and integrate with ease into different communities, while increasing proficiency in a second language.
- Class-led Instruction – traditional classroom setting with a national curriculum and teacher held at specific MFRCs.
- Online Language Training - Family members can obtain a license from their local MFRC to access the self-directed online Rosetta Stone program.
- Tutoring – available for one-on-one language instruction on a case-by-case basis.
- Other learning opportunities developed by local MFRCs such as conversation circles and French/English Conversation Clubs and a Second Language Training Resource Library.
- 2018 Second Language Pilot Program - Pour l’amour du français (French training program) and For the love of English (English training program). Both programs are delivered in a traditional classroom setting with an online curriculum, with 16 separate modules, which are mapped into the Government of Canada (A, B and C) linguistic levels. You don't have to worry about missing a class because of your loved one’s deployment, your HHT or a hectic family schedule.
Contact your local Second Language Training Coordinator at your MFRC (email@example.com) to get started!
Click here to see information on the National programs!