Special Needs & Inclusion Department
The Special Needs & Inclusion Program (SNIP) offers confidential support, information and referral to individuals with special needs as well as caregivers of children, youth and adults with special needs. Learning to navigate the social services in a new community is stressful; our Special Needs & Inclusion Coordinator can help.
The following are services offered by SNIP:
- Assistance in applying for funding opportunities
- Information sessions
- Networking opportunities
- One-on-one sessions
- Referrals to community agencies
- Support and resources
- School meeting support – navigating the Ontario school system and understanding the process of Individual Education Plans (IEPs) and Individual Review and Placement Committee (IPRCs)
- Tips & Tricks – How to – Social Stories, trouble shooting, visual aids (choice boards, visual routines, etc.)
SNIP offers a variety a groups that engage and connects families with special needs:
- Parent Support Group: A support group for parents/grandparents/caregivers of children with all special needs. Connect with other families in your community and discuss topics that affect and interest you. Gain support and insight from local families.
- At Trenton MFRC, every second Thursday of the month (September to June) from 6 - 7:30 p.m.
- Building Blocks Clubs: An evidence-based social skills program using LEGO building blocks to assist in the development of communication and appropriate social interaction.
- Improvaganza!: Evidence-based improvisation and theatre program designed specifically for children and youth with special needs
- Puzzle Project: Evidence-based program designed to support siblings of a individual with special needs. This group provides a fun and supportive environment for siblings to share the joys and struggles of being a sibling if an individual with special needs.
- Family Cooking Club
This Special Needs Inclusion Toolkit is an information package to assist in navigating the resources available for all military families supporting an individual with special needs associated with CFB Trenton. This toolkit will explain the process of who is qualified to provide a diagnosis, next steps, financial options, understanding the terms and acronyms and navigating the Ontario School System.
Occupational Therapy Clinic
The Trenton MFRC & True Patriot Love in collaboration with Belleville Integrated Health Centre are pleased to offer three different Occupational Therapy Clinic Packages!
Each program will include:
Book your assessment and register your child today!
- An assessment (comprehensive or overview depending on the need) - $110 - $350 value
- Plus 4 individual private sessions - $520 value
- Total Value of $1000 for just $100
Contact Marya Peters for more information and to register for your OT clinic package:
(613) 392-2811 ext. 2076
To learn more about the Special Needs & Inclusion programs and services offered by the Trenton Military Family Resource Centre please contact:
Santina Williams, Special Needs Inclusion Coordinator
613-392-2811 ext. 2076
Marya Peters, Special Needs Inclusion Program - Provincial Lead
613-392-2811 ext. 2076