Immunizations in the U.S. What should you know?

Immunization records must be obtained from your family doctor in Canada for any dependent child who will accompany you and will be attending a U.S. school.  Ensure the record shows the day, month, and year the immunization was given.  You are also encouraged to contact your applicable school district in the US during your HHT to determine what immunizations are required. 
Vaccines may be available at private doctor offices, public or community health clinics, or other community locations (such as schools/universities, pharmacies, religious centers or places of worship).  If you have a doctor or regular source of care, speak with your provider about vaccines recommended for you and your family. This can be in Canada or in the U.S.
CAF Members, Spouses and Children are also able to get vaccinations at any U.S. Base Hospital that offers them. There is no cost for these as they are done through TRICARE. If there is not a U.S. Military Hospital installation in your area, then any doctor or pharmacy can be used, but you will be using Allianz for your insurance provider.
Immunizations are done differently in the states.
Here are some of the State Vaccination Requirements.
  • State and local vaccination requirements for daycare and school entry are important tools for maintaining high vaccination coverage rates, and in turn, lower rates of vaccine-preventable diseases (VPDs).
  • These laws often apply not only to children attending public schools but also to those attending private schools and day care facilities. States may also require immunization of healthcare workers and of patients and residents of healthcare facilities.
  • All states provide medical exemptions, and some state laws also offer exemptions for religious and/or philosophical reasons. State laws also establish mechanisms for enforcement of school vaccination requirements and exemptions.
  • Find VACCINATION REQUIREMENTS for your state and school district