Immunizations in the U.S. What you should know

Immunization records must be obtained from your family doctor in Canada for any dependent child who will accompany you and will be attending a U.S. school.  Ensure the record shows the day, month, and year the immunization was given.  You are also encouraged to contact your applicable school district in the U.S. during your HHT to determine what immunizations are required. 
CAF Members, Spouses and Children are also able to get vaccinations at any U.S. Base Hospital that offers them. There is no cost for these as they are done through TRICARE. If there is not a U.S. Military Hospital installation in your area, then any doctor or pharmacy can be used, but you will be using Allianz for your insurance provider.  Allianz will cover 80% of the cost of immunizations and the additional 20% can be submitted to CDLS(W) for reimbursement. 
Immunizations are done differently in the states.
Here are some of the State Vaccination Requirements.
  • State and local vaccination requirements for daycare and school entry are important tools for maintaining high vaccination coverage rates, and in turn, lower rates of vaccine-preventable diseases (VPDs).
  • These laws often apply not only to children attending public schools but also to those attending private schools and day care facilities. States may also require immunization of healthcare workers and of patients and residents of healthcare facilities.
  • All states provide medical exemptions, and some state laws also offer exemptions for religious and/or philosophical reasons. State laws also establish mechanisms for enforcement of school vaccination requirements and exemptions.
  • Find VACCINATION REQUIREMENTS for your state and school district
When travelling on an HHT, it is recommended that you bring your children’s immunization records with you.  They are required for new school registration.
Your child may be required to have specific immunizations to attend school or daycare at your new US location that is not on the provincial timeline of the Canadian province that you reside in.  If that is the case, you may not be able to receive an immunization at a public/community health unit.  Unfortunately, they are required to follow the provincial immunization timeline and not make any changes or exceptions.  There are 2 options to get your child the immunizations required for your new post:
  1. Make an appointment with your child’s family doctor and ask if they can order in the required immunization and arrange to administration.  If this is possible, the immunization will be billed as a prescription through your healthcare insurance and the administration may be scheduled at their office or through a pharmacy. 
  2. Wait until you arrive at your new U.S. location and get the immunizations there.  It is recommended that CAF families utilize their local base hospitals/MTFs for immunizations.  There are no fees and record keeping will be stored in one place.