For military personnel who have a keen interest in Physical Fitness Training (PFT) and have successfully completed the BFTA (Basic Fitness Training Assistant) qualification.
Advanced Fitness Training Assistant (AFTA)
MITE Course Qualification Code 112390
In order to be nominated for Military Personnel Generation Training Group (MPGTG) courses (BFTA, AFTA and UFSO), your unit Training Coordinator, Training Officer or Operations and Training Cell must enter your nomination in Guardian. The desired serial number and session dates must be entered into the comments field (click on TAB 3 to get to the comments field) in order to ensure you are not simply put on a waiting list.
Nominations are normally confirmed about 30 days prior to the course start date. At that time participants will receive a course loading message that will include the Joining Instructions and specifics on FIN Codes. They must confirm their attendance with Kathy Dimakos, Training and Project Support Coordinator, National PSP Training Centre, at Kathy.Dimakos@forces.gc.ca at that time. If members cannot attend the session, they must have their Ops and Training cell change/remove their nomination in Guardian.
There are no course registration fees. Participant costs for travel, TD and R&Q are funded through MPGTG for Reg Force members only. For Reservists, MPGTG only covers the course and their unit covers travel, TD and wages.
If you have any issues with Guardian nominations, please contact HRIC.Info@forces.gc.ca.
10 training days
V CV H G O A
- BFTA qualified and involved with the unit’s/school’s PT program on a regular basis
- Successfully completed the FORCE evaluation in the past 12 months
- Rank of Master Corporal, Master Seaman and above
- Currently qualified in Standard First Aid and CPR
- Medical standards:
4 3 3 2 2 5
- Course attendance approval through the Chain of Command
This course aims at instructing CAF personnel on advanced type fitness training. It will inform them how to meet the needs of the tactical athlete. This operational and functionally based training will enhance the operational readiness of the individual and his/her unit.
What and how you will learn
During this 2 week course you will learn how to:
- Explain the Tactical Athlete Training Program (TATP)
- Identify exercise safety concerns of advanced training methods
- Demonstrate/conduct TATP fitness conditioning training session
- Conduct obstacle course physical fitness training
- Conduct operational based physical fitness skills training
- Conduct competitive fitness games
- Conduct fitness based orienteering
This information will be delivered through theoretical lectures, practical demonstrations, group discussions, and student presentations.
Students will be assessed on their conduct of a Tactical Athlete group physical fitness training session, instruction and demonstration of weight lifting technique, conducting group competitive games activity, and achieving passing grades in two written theoretical tests.
NOTE: This is a highly physical / activity based course.
Upcoming Courses 2018-2019
- Taught at CFB Borden. In order to have a course taught at any other location with suitable facilities and equipment, a request has to be submitted to CFSTG HQ in Borden
- Offered in both official languages
- For more information please contact the PSP Training and Project Support Coordinator at 705-424-1200 ext 312 or CSN 270-3127