Veteran Family Program
The Veteran Family Program is still available!
Veteran Family Program Coordinators are teleworking to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
If you are unsure how to reach your local coordinator due to physical locations being closed please call the Family Information Line at 1-800-866-4546 or email FIL@CAFconnection.ca, and they will help you connect.
What is the Veteran Family Program?
The Veteran Family Program is funded through Veterans Affairs Canada and in partnership with Canadian Forces Morale and Welfare Services. Military Family Services (a division of Canadian Forces Morale and Welfare Services) partners with Military Family Resource Centres to deliver services to medically releasing Canadian Armed Forces members, medically released Veterans and their families from across Canada. A Veteran Family Program Coordinator is available at every Military Family Resource Centre in Canada to support the transition of medically releasing Canadian Armed Forces members, medically released Veterans and their families into post-service life.
Releasing from the Canadian Armed Forces can be challenging for members and families, but even more so when the release is the result of a medical situation. When a Canadian Armed Forces member makes the transition from active service to veteran status, their family does too. The Veteran Family Program is here to help ease that transition by providing enhanced information and referral services, specialized transition programs and some of the traditional programs offered through Military Family Resource Centres.
The Veteran Family Program benefits the medically releasing Canadian Armed Forces members, medically released Veterans and their families by helping them navigate the complex process of releasing, the challenges that may arise, and the sometimes unexpected impact on the social, emotional, and financial wellbeing. Programs and services are always aimed to meet individual needs, and work towards finding solutions and support. The Veteran Family Program can enhance other services provided through the Canadian Armed Forces Transition Group, Veterans Affairs Canada and other organizations in the local community.
Some components of the Veteran Family Program which you might find helpful include:
Veteran Family Journal:
Mental Health First Aid – Veteran Community:
- Readily available, helpful tool for navigating your personal transition journey and identifying needs, includes supportive worksheets and checklists as well as storage space for important documents.
COPE: Couples Overcoming PTSD Everyday:
- Learn the framework for having a confident conversation about mental health with family. Tailored to address the needs of Veterans and the people who care for, and about them.
Care for the Caregiver:
- Designed for couples to gain an understanding of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and how it can impact their relationship and the family. Learn coping skills and insights to help manage living with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
Family Information Line
- As a caregiver of a Veteran or medically releasing military member living with an Operational Stress Injury, there may be significant challenges in supporting a loved one while managing other responsibilities related to work, life and family. This resource is intended to provide Operational Stress Injury education as well as self-care tools to support the caregiver role.
To learn more:
- The Family Information is a confidential, personal, bilingual and free service offering information, support, referrals, reassurance and crisis management to the military community. Our counsellors are a team of helping professionals. We serve Canadian Armed Forces members, Veterans and their families - immediate and extended. 365 days a year, 24 hours a day.
- Inclusion in some of the Military Family Resource Centre programs and services.
- Visit any Canadian Military Family Resource Centre and speak with the onsite Veteran Family Program Coordinator;
- Call the Family Information Line at 1-800-866-4546 or email FIL@CAFconnection.ca;
- Visit www.cafconnection.ca/vfp for information